The most important skills companies are looking for in a job seeker change quite often. As businesses evolve and technologies advance, demand for certain hard skills and soft skills appear. Here is a non-comprehensive list of the most important hard and soft skills in 2019 according to LinkedIn.
High Demand Hard Skills in 2019
Hard skills are abilities that can be learned. They are easily quantifiable and measured. During job interviews, employers will often assess the candidate’s hard skills usually through some type of test assessment. Below are the top 5 hard skills employers seek in 2019.
- Cloud Computing
- Companies are moving everything to the cloud. Put simply, everything is heading online! Engineers that are able to understand, design, and develop are highly valued.
- Artificial Intelligence
- AI is becoming more common among businesses. The ability to train and code machine learning models will increase in demand as businesses attempt to work smarter.
- Analytical Reasoning
- With more data means more analysts that can crunch data and help make business decisions.
- People Management
- Leaders are always in demand. A good leader can lead any team to victory!
- UX Design
- The days of poor user experiences are gone. Today people care more and more about simplicity and ease of products.
High Demand Soft Skills in 2019
Soft skills are much harder to quantify than hard skills. It is how a person smoothly communicates and interacts with other people. A LinkedIn study shows 57% of senior leaders today say soft skills are more important than hard skills. Personality tests like Meyers-Briggs seek to gauge and measure this trait. Here are the top 5 soft skills in 2019.
- Companies are always looking to innovate. Without creativity, no new product advancements would be made.
- Being able to convince others to buy your product will always be in demand.
- Organizations are going global. Teams are getting more specialized. As a result, being able to work effectively with all cross-functional teams to complete a project is valuable.
- There are usually multiple ways to get to a result. As today’s world is changing quickly, employers are looking for malleable minds.
- Time Management
- It’s hard!